Saturday, August 27, 2016

Paraphrasing "The Full Indian Rope Trick" by Colette Bryce

The Full Indian Rope Trick
Colette Bryce
There was no secret
Murmured down through a long line
Of elect; no dark fakir, no flutter
Of notes from a pipe,
No proof, no footage of it
But I did it,

Guildhall Square, noon,
In front of everyone.
There were walls, bells, passers-by;
Then a rope, thrown, caught by the sky
And me, young, up and away,
Goodbye.

Goodbye, goodbye
Thin air. First try.
A crowd hushed, squinting eyes
At a full sun. there
On the stones
The slack weight of a rope

Coiled in a crate, a braid
Eighteen summers long,
And me
I’m long gone,
My one-off trick
Unique, unequaled since.

And what would I tell them
Given the chance?
It was painful; it took years.
I’m my own witness,
Guardian of the fact
That I’m still there.

Study the poem “The Full Indian Rope Trick”
1.      Who is the speaker?
2.      What figure of speech (es) is/are applied in the poem?
3.      What is the parody in
a)      /first try………./it took years/
b)      /I’m long gone………./I’m still here/?
4.      What is the meaning of the poem?
 


1.      The speaker is a trickster.
2.      The figure of speech is synecdoche in “caught by the sky” means prepare an act of escape in the air or try to fly.
3.      a) First try…………/to it took years.
The speaker tried to do a wonderful act of escape in the crowded people in the sunny day. When he did it, he failed. He failed because he was not an escapologist, but he was just a braggart. When people realized that made him shy and painful. It would take over years to recover.
b) I’m long gone………../to I’m still here.
The speaker thinks that he has gone far with his unique trick, but he goes nowhere because his trick is failed.
4.       The poem “The Full Indian Rope Trick” tells about someone brags about a miraculous act of escape carried out in the middle of a city square during lunch time, but his performance is failed because he cannot do that. He still in that place not moving anyway.
Source
The Guardian

An Introduction to Poetry by Arp & Perrine

No comments:

Post a Comment